Dry mouth is a condition in which there is not enough saliva in the mouth. Most people experience dry mouth from time to time, but having dry most or all the time can cause serious health issues. Those with dry mouth may have a hard time chewing, swallowing, speaking, or tasting. As saliva is a key component in cleaning the mouth, dry mouth can increase the risk of tooth decay and other oral issues.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, schedule an appointment to see if treatment for dry mouth in Sedona, Arizona, is right for you:
– Trouble speaking, swallowing, tasting, or chewing
– A dry or sticky feeling in the mouth
– A dry tongue or throat
– Cracked lips
– Mouth sores
– Infection in the mouth
Causes of Dry Mouth
Some common causes of dry mouth include:
– Medications that reduce the flow of saliva
– Some diseases, including Sjogren’s Syndrome, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and Parkinson’s disease
– Radiation therapy for cancer
– Chemotherapy for cancer
– Injury to the neck or head can damage the nerves that tell the salivary glands to produce
If you would like to learn more about dry mouth and solutions for this condition, feel free to contact Sedona Dental Arts at 928-282-1514 today. Our dentistss, Dr. Babcock and Dr. Bill, are more than happy to help you overcome dry mouth.